Fresh trouble brews in for Coinbase as a lawsuit alleges that top leadership of the crypto exchange sold stock using inside information and dodged massive losses.
Coinbase’s Chief Executive Officer Brian Armstrong, board member Marc Andreessen, and other officers are being accused of avoiding losses of over $1 billion with the help of inside information to sell stock within days of the platform’s public listing in 2021.
- The investor Adam Grabski, who filed the lawsuit, alleged that the firm’s management offloaded their stock before “material, negative information that destroyed market optimism from the company’s first quarterly earnings release forward” prompted a decline in the share price.
- The complaint was unsealed Monday in Delaware Chancery Court, which stated that Coinbase’s board launched a direct listing instead of a more typical initial public offering and rapidly sold off $2.9 billion in stock.
“Within five weeks, those shares declined in value by over $1 billion, and Coinbase’s market capitalization plummeted by more than $37 billion.”
- As part of the direct listing, Armstrong is said to have sold more than $291 million of Coinbase stock.
- Andreessen’s venture capital firm, Andreessen Horowitz, on the other hand, dumped over $118 million worth of the stock during the same period, according to the complaint.
- In an emailed statement to Bloomberg, Coinbase said the lawsuit is an example of “meritless claims.”
- The lawsuit emerges a month after the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) sent a Wells Notice to Coinbase for listing unregistered securities.
- Tensions have been escalating with the regulator for quite some time.
- The NASDAQ-listed firm retaliated with its own lawsuit against the SEC, asking a federal court to compel the SEC to provide clearer guidance on the rules governing the crypto market.
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to register and receive $100 free and 10% off fees on Binance Futures first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter CRYPTOPOTATO50 code to receive up to $7,000 on your deposits.
Leave a Reply